Sunday, May 3, 2009

Michelle and I went out last night and picked up my book. I don't know if she can tell it yet but her diet is already affecting her. Last night she had enough energy left to go with me to the book store and pick up my book.

This leads me to the thing I want to talk about right now. Before last night, she would have come home exhausted after a bad day at work and would have been unable to do anything except come home and collapse. She had one of those days yesterday, they are coming much too frequently now it seems. The hospital needs to staff better (not just her hospital but all hospitals). Until this happens, being a patient in a hospital endangers the patient as the staff cannot care for them properly. Being a staff member in the hospital overworks the person and causes unbelievable amounts of stress on that person as the personality types that go into health care are not doing it for the money, they are doing it because they are caretakers. It is a lose lose situation. Even physicians, who we frequently vilify, are overworked, overstressed and are unable to care for their patients properly. The only answer I can see from my vantage is to remove hospitals and health care from the corporate board rooms and return them to the public trust. Hospitals should not be in the "business" to make money. It is all supposed to be about caring for patients. Nurses, lab techs, nursing techs and even doctors should be able to make a living wage from medicine. They should not starve or become wealthy because they are taking care of ill people.

Michelle has just arrived home early. I just heard the car beep as she set its alarm system. I am going to go check why she is home (I am always glad to have her home but am curious as to why).

Peace,
Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment