Sunday, April 26, 2009

Saw a slashdot article What Did You Do First With Linux? today. I found the article very interesting, I remember the first time I tried to use Linux. It was Slashdot, 1994 or so. A friend loaned me a bunch of floppies (around 15) and I tried to load it onto the 386 I had at the time. I am still not sure if the problem was me or that I was trying to put the OS on too small of a computer but it didn't work.
I next tried Linux in around 1995. I bought a box set of Red Hat version 2 and installed it on a spare computer I had. This time it took and I had a running OS. I set it up and got FVWM running as my windowing system (talk about ugly!). I have run a distro of Linux since. I followed Red Hat until Mandrake forked off of it and then ran Mandrake until Mandrake 10. I then went back to Red Hat for a while. I read about a new distro that would be arriving soon called Ubuntu. It was being started by this rich South African dude and was going to be a fork off of Debian. It was said it would be a desktop version of Debian that would be easier to install (not hard to be easier to install than Debian was at that time). I moved to Ubuntu when it was released and have used it since pretty much full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment